Thursday, January 31, 2008

i can't be that tired.

i looked at the reflection of my 8:00 am face in the scratched up subway car window and saw the huge bags hanging underneath my eyes -- "well, it's thursday...good enough for three 10 hour days @ work?" i'm not complaining, because lord knows i need another W-2 form to file my taxes this year, but i feel like i'm becoming one of those drones who stand in the subway car, with their eyes closed, semi-sleeping, semi-awake in order to make the mad dash out at the proper express stop on the A train. i don't usually mind my commute (11C > GWB > A TRAIN > 2 BLOCKS EAST > 14th & 6) but i just try to cherish this moment of solitude as much as i can, cuz believe it or not - amongst all the cramped people in the subway car i ride day to day, smell their pits, and share their handsweat...this is the best kind of alone time i will get all week.

and i could go on and on, and complain how i was woken up this morning to hear my parents and my brother all fighting over the one lone full bathroom in the house...but rather, i'll focus on this moment right here:

because santa was very good to me this year, i finally upgraded to a more than 1GB ipod, blessed and touched, to hear this well captured podcast from NPR:

a soldier. asked his friend to hold on to his last blog entry, to be posted only after he died while serving his country.

Major Andrew Olmsted


His final entry.

(and yes, the guy standing 6 inches in front of me in the subway car, witnessed the few tears that i shed this morning.)

No comments: